Client: American Association for Children with AIDS
Partners: The People of Mombasa
Overview: In 2011 we were invited by the American Association for Children with AIDS to join a project in Mombasa, Kenya. We were there to support the work of a local HIV programme and spent a week learning about their work and helping rebuild a house for a young women orphaned by AIDS. See our Kenya Blog.
- Volunteer teams in the Mombasa slums
- Recruit & test at risk individuals
- Mediate & counsel the positive
- De-stigmatise the disease
- Encourage condom use
- Encourage men to get involved
The project brings hope to hundreds of people in the community convinced they have received a death sentence. The project’s Youth Club celebrate its 10th birthday this year with many of the founding members performing and at the party.